I run a general family practice, and have a special interest in Female Wellness, Allergies, Pediatrics, Pain Management and Digestive health.
If you’re wondering how I might assist you, the following are examples of what I have consulted and treated people for in the past. This includes, but is not limited to:
Gastrointestinal diseases (IBS, IBD, Reflux, Leaky Gut, Bloating, Constipation)
Female disorders (Cervical dysplasia, PCOS, PMS, Menopause, Infertility, Libido)
Pediatric conditions (decreased immunity, ear infections, eczema)
Anxiety and depression
Healthy weight and metabolism
Autoimmune disorders and immune deficiencies (Hashimoto’s, Alopecia areata, cold and flu treatment and prevention)
Migraines and headaches
Dermatological conditions (eczema, psoriasis, acne)
Thyroid and adrenal disorders
Fatigue (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Adrenal Fatigue, Hypothyroidism)
Joint disorders (RA, OA, FM, Discopathy, unexplained joint pain)
Environmental and food sensitivities
Allergies and asthma
Elevated cholesterol and heart health
Diabetes and pre-diabetes
These are some of the ways that I can help with the above conditions:
Medical assessment and general diagnostic procedures, including but not limited to: blood and urine lab work, general physical exams, neurological and musculoskeletal assessments and pap smears)
Individualized treatment, including nutritional, lifestyle, exercise, stress management plans and support
Regular conventional laboratory testing, as well as specialized testing, refer to Specialized Tests for more detail below
Online access to lab results
Click to read more about each treatment option below:
Mind – Body Counseling
- The body and mind are intimately connected and do not function in isolation from each other,, despite the fact that many of us operate that way. Our mental and emotional state can affect us physically, just as our physical health can impact our mental and emotional health. I am passionate about using mindfulness, somatic awareness, alongside energetic breath techniques in order to remove old behavioural patterns inhibiting your sense of well being.
- If possible, I encourage getting your nutrients and medicine, from food. However, sometimes supplementation is necessary in order to achieve therapeutic doses, which are not otherwise achieved through food consumption. Another reason, albeit unfortunate, is that our soils are becoming depleted through over harvesting and a lack of farming diversity, which results in diminished nutrient density. For example, according to Dr. Dunning’s work on soil health and food supply, in order to obtain the same amount of iron from one apple in 1950, by 1998 you had to eat 26 apples!
- Botanical medicine, also known as herbal medicine, comes in many different forms (liquid extract, tablets, essential oils etc.) and have incredible therapeutic benefits on the body. Did you know that some plants have specificity for certain human tissues? For example, red raspberry leaf has astringent (tonifying) effects on the body, but for some unknown reason, is particularly effective on the female reproductive system…how cool is that?!
Acupuncture, Moxibustion, Electro-stimulation and Cupping
- The insertion of very thin, pre-sterilized, disposable needles through the skin into the underlying tissues at specific points on the surface of the body, which works to restore balance and promote healing. Occasionally pain-free electro-stimulation of the needles is performed, or moxibustion, which uses certain heated substances over acupuncture points in order to enhance the treatment’s effectiveness. Cupping involving glass or silicon cups, which pull the skin and fascia away from the underlying muscle, enhancing blood flow to the area, thereby improving mobility, strength and flexibility.
- This is an effective natural treatment alternative for cervical dysplasia (pre-cancerous cells) as opposed to a Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure (LEEP). Herbal and nutraceutical remedies are used to “paint” the cervix in order to slough off abnormal cells and replace them with healthy, new cells. Sometimes a LEEP is necessary, but if you are eligible for the escharotic treatment it is a way of avoiding the risks associated with a LEEP. In addition, a systemic treatment is always recommended in order to address the underlying cause of the dysplasia, so that it does not recur.
Intravenous Vitamin and Nutrient Therapy
- IM (intramuscular) and IV (intra-venous) therapy refers to a selection of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and/or herbs injected directly into the blood stream for a fast and effective boost to your system, which is not attainable through oral supplementation. IV’s consist of Vitamin C, B Vitamins, Selenium, Magnesium and many other nutrients necessary for hundreds of functions in the body. It is effectively used for things like fatigue, skin brightening, mood balancing, hormone balancing, detoxification, allergies, colds and flus and so much more.
Allergy Desensitization (SLIT)
- Sub-lingual immunotherapy (SLIT) is a safe and convenient alternative to allergy shots that provides permanent relief of airborne allergies. It effectively treats the cause of allergies and has been shown to reduce the risk of developing asthma. It uses extremely low doses of antigens (eg. cat, trees, pollen) dropped under the tongue, which desensitize the immune system, thereby reducing your body’s immune response to the antigen.
- Unfortunately we live in a toxic world, so I always think that it is a good idea to do a minimum of one detox per year. There are some exceptions to this rule, for example if you are pregnant or trying to conceive. There are lots of options out there to cleanse the body of unwanted chemicals and pollutants we are exposed to on a daily basis, so we can find the best option for you!
- Originating in Germany more than 200 hundred years ago, it is one of the energetic medicines, like acupuncture, which removes blockages and stimulates the natural healing mechanisms in the body. Using the principle of “like cures like,” extremely diluted natural substances are used to cure symptoms that, in a healthy patient, would normally be caused by large doses of the same substance. A huge benefit of it, is it’s safety profile, so Homeopathy is often used in pregnancy, children and even pets!
Naturopathic Manipulation and Physical Medicine
- Due to my training in anatomy, orthopedic assessments and diagnosis of musculoskeletal conditions, I recognize the importance of an aligned structure. I use osseous manipulations, soft tissue techniques, as well as rehabilitation exercises to help your body correct itself and prevent reoccurrence. To understand osseous manipulation, imagine your spine is a faucet and the nerves extending from your spine are the hoses. If there is an issue with the faucet or compression of a hose, the water isn't going to flow very well. Manipulation can help relieve any compression so that your spine, organs and entire body can function optimally.
Total Body Modification (TBM)
- TBM is both a diagnostic and treatment tool. It uses neuromuscular response of certain body points, that relate to organs in the body, to detect dysfunction. TBM is able to detect a 1-2% loss of function of an organ, whereas laboratory testing detects an issue only when there is 40%, or more, loss of function. Therefore, lab tests may be normal despite experiencing symptoms. TBM accesses the body’s internal computer system, and then gentle corrections are made to reset the body’s bioelectrical system.
Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)
- Structurally identical to hormones produced naturally by the human body, bioidentical hormones are a safer alternative to the synthetically modified hormones that have been used in the past with Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). Most often used throughout and after menopause, BHRT can dramatically enhance your quality of life and reduce symptoms of hormonal imbalance.
- In 2009, the BC government granted NDs prescriptive drug rights. I choose to prescribe pharmaceutical medicines when required.
Specialized tests that I can perform include, but are not limited to:
Food, food additives and environmental sensitivity/allergy testing
Stool testing (pathogen screens, comprehensive digestive stool analysis)
Adrenal testing (4 point salivary cortisol and DHEA testing)
Female and Male Hormone Testing (blood, saliva and urine)
SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) breath testing
Organic acids testing (urine metabolites)
Environmental allergy skin prick testing
Gut permeability testing (aka Leaky gut)